Monday, April 19, 2010

Serie A - Totti plays down derby gesture

Roma captain Francesco Totti has attempted to calm the furore over his 'thumbs-down' gestures that angered Lazio's fans and coach, Edy Reja, after Sunday's hostile city derby.

Tempers flared after the 2-1 win, which sees Roma leapfrog Inter Milan into first place in Serie A, after Totti goaded the supporters of Lazio, who were the hosts of Sunday's Eternal City derby. Reja was so upset that he called for Totti to be slapped with a 10-match ban. ''Considering how the game went, after the final whistle, I let myself go with the heated atmosphere of triumph,'' Totti said in a statement on his official website. ''I didn't intend to offend anyone and I apologise if someone has been affected by my way of celebrating the result with my team-mates and the fans.

Totti and team-mate Daniele De Rossi, both members of Italy's World Cup winning squad in 2006, were so swept up in the intensity of the derby that Roma coach Claudio Ranieri substituted both at half-time.




No comments:

Post a Comment